John Holding was born in Adlington in 1830 and was the son of John Holding (1785) and Jane Darbyshire. In 1841 he was living in Grimshaw Cottages, Haigh. In 1851 he was living with his widowed mother in the household of elder brother James at Side of Moor in Aspull and working as a coal miner. He married Mary Coman in 1857. In 1861 and 1871 he was living in Ladies Lane in Hindley and working as a miner. By 1881 he had moved back to Aspull and was living at 7 Longfield Street. In 1891 he was working as a beerseller and living at the Fair Trade Inn, 13 Wigan Road, Aspull. He died in 1892.